Downtown Development Advisory Board
Downtown Clayton is the backbone of our economy - the heart of Clayton! This advisory board has a passion for preserving all that makes an alive downtown!
The purpose of the Clayton Downtown Development Advisory Board is to support the Clayton Downtown Development Association (CDDA), Inc., a 501-c-3 not-for-profit dedicated to improving downtown. The advisory board advises the Town Council on issues that impact the Downtown District, including preserving and enhancing the character of Clayton's Downtown District; protecting the historic significance of the buildings, facilities, and spaces within the Downtown District; educating citizens and business people about the value of the Downtown District; promoting the Downtown District as a place to invest; serving as a review and advisory committee to the Town of Clayton Town Council; and implementing projects that enhance and protect the Downtown District.
The DDA Advisory Board is an 11-member Town-Council-appointed advisory committee that includes citizens who live inside the town limits, business people with interests in the Downtown Clayton area, property owners within the Downtown District of Clayton, or other people with knowledge or abilities deemed beneficial to the purpose of the advisory board by the Town Council. The Advisory Board works on behalf of the Town of Clayton and serves the Town's interests in relation to the goals and priorities established by the Town Council for the Town of Clayton. The Town of Clayton's Economic Development Director or a designee serves as the liaison to this board.
The CDDA, Inc. meets on the second Monday of each month. Meetings are open to the public. See the meeting calendar for 2022 (PDF).
There are also several regular committee and subcommittee meetings where the public is also welcome.
This downtown advisory board also helps to recommend businesses for facade grants to help spruce up the historic storefronts of downtown!
See a list of our advisory board openings! If you have great ideas you want to share, have skills you feel would benefit the community and have the willingness to give your time and energies to making this community great, please get involved and apply to serve on an advisory board!
Read the by-laws (PDF) of the Clayton Downtown Development Association
Want to Volunteer?
- Christmas Village and Tree Lighting: Assist with preplanning; Facilitate volunteers; Information booth; Provide support to key leaders; Location coordinator.
- Town Square Concert Series: Assist with the 5 to 6 Town Square Concerts; Serve alcohol; Check IDs; Set-up and/or cleanup; Promotion; Information booth.
- Material Distribution: Distribute event flyers and posters to downtown businesses, also occasional notices to businesses.
- Fundraising and Membership: Work on fundraising, sponsorship and membership drives
If you would like to participate in the work of the CDDA, or if you have any questions, please contact the Economic Development office at 919-553-5002 or email us.
- Christi Thompson, Chair - Term Expires: June 30, 2026; Serving Since: July 2020
- Matthew Kagel, Vice-Chair- Term Expires: June 30, 2026; Serving Since: June 2021
- Dan Barbour - Term Expires: June 30, 2024; Serving Since: September 2022
- Erin Belcher - Term Expires: June 30, 2025; Serving Since: July 2019
- John David Millican - Term Expires: June 30, 2025; Serving Since: July 2019
- Paul Auclair - Term Expires: June 30, 2024; Serving Since: June 2021
- Greg Adamson - Term Expires: June 30, 2025; Serving Since: July 2022
- Lila Rieber - Term Expires: June 30, 2026; Serving Since: February 2022
- Katie Spalding - Term Expires: June 30, 2025; Serving Since: July 2022
- Joel Tew - Term Expires: June 30, 2024; Serving Since: July 2023
- Marty Kornegay - Term Expires: June 30, 2026; Serving Since: July 2023
- Cameron Coolidge (Alternate) - Term Expires: June 30, 2026; Serving Since: July 2023
- Andre Walden (Alternate) - Term Expires: June 30, 2026; Serving Since: July 2023
- Porter Casey, Council Member