- If I have a leak and my water consumption increases, will the Town give me any type of adjustment on my bill?
In most cases, yes. We require proof that the repair was done or a receipt for repair supplies. Once we receive all the repair information, our billing specialist will make the adjustments and give you a call.
- How much notice does the Town need to connect or disconnect my services?
We need 24 hours once we have all the documents needed, to connect or disconnect service. We do not provide same-day connections or disconnects.
- Can I request a review of my water / electric meter reading?
Yes. Please contact us by phone at 919-553-5002 or by email to request a review of your water / electric meter reading.
- What do I do if my utilities are disconnected for non-payment?
When it becomes necessary for the Town to disconnect services, service will be restored after payment of:
- All past-due bills due to the Town, including additional fees and charges required by this policy
- Any deposit as required
- Any material and labor cost incurred by the Town according to the current fee schedule.
After-hours reconnection is not available to our customers.
- Will the Town grant me extra time to pay my utility bill?
Utility customers are allowed two extensions per calendar year provided the request is made prior to the cut-off date. To request an extension, please complete the Extension Request Form. Note: Bank draft customers are not eligible for extensions. The maximum extension is for 10 days past your cut-off date, and all penalties will apply.
- What happens if the check that I wrote for my utility payment is returned from the bank?
The Customer Service Department will notify you when there is a returned draft or check. You will have 48 hours from notification to make the payment, either with cash, card, or a money order. There is a $25 returned item charge that will apply.
- When is my deposit applied to my utility account?
Home Owners: The deposit shall be refunded by written request after 12 months of demonstrated good payment history defined as: no late payments, no returned checks, no returned drafts and no disconnects for nonpayment within the first 12 months of service.
Renters: All renters shall have their deposit applied to the balance of the account at closing prior to any refunds being issued.
- I’ve gotten married / divorced and my name has changed. What do I need to provide to the Town of Clayton so that it can be changed on my utility bill?
Please provide a notarized copy of your marriage license, divorce decree, updated driver's license, or social security card to the Utilities & Billing Department in Town Hall located at 111 E. Second Street in downtown Clayton, along with a photo ID and the change will be made immediately. This information may also be submitted by email.
- I have a swimming pool to fill. What should I do?
Call the Customer Service Department at 919-553-5002 prior to filling your pool to have your water meter read. Once the pool is filled, you will need to call and schedule another reading. The Town will bill you at a reduced rate for the gallons used to fill the pool. No sewer charges on those gallons will be applied.
- What do I do if I have a water/sewer emergency after normal business hours?
Please call 919-553-5002 if you have an after-hours water/sewer emergency. A Town of Clayton employee will be dispatched to your home. This service is not offered to customers who were disconnected.
- Does the Town offer disposal of old furniture / appliances?
Customers do not need to call to request a special pick-up for bulk items. All Star will pick up one or two bulk items each week on same day as your scheduled garbage collection date. For more information visit the Garbage Collection page.
- What can I put in my recycling cart?
Recycling is collected every week on the same day as garbage collection. For details on what can be included visit the Recycling Information page.
- What do I do if the wheel has fallen off my garbage or recycling cart?
Contact the Utilities & Billing Department at 919-553-5002 during normal business hours and a repair or replacement order will be issued. It can take between 7 to 10 days for the repair to be completed.
- I have electronic items that I need to dispose of. What do I do?
Electronic items can be recycled at any of the Johnston County Convenience Centers or at the Johnston County Landfill. This is a free service offered by Johnston County. Bins are available at the Convenience Centers and Landfill at no charge for any residential customer who wishes to dispose of these items. For Convenience Center locations visit the Johnston County Recycling Information page.
- How do I request a 2nd garbage or recycling cart?
Please contact the Customer Service Department at 919-553-5002 to request an additional garbage or recycling cart. An extra 95-gallon garbage cart is $4.18 per month. An extra 95-gallon recycling cart is $3.17 per month.